thanks for your quick response, armin!

I see, the pwd/user settings in repository_user.xml are optional!
ok, that's good, so I have only one problem left. maybe you can give me a hand with this:

I have just one ear file with my ejb's, war's, jar's and ojb.sar inside,
and I have my datasource.xml which is outside the ear (in the deploy dir).

I want to let our customer specify the database connection via the datasource(which driver to use, username, password) without the need to modify our ear file (and the repository files within..)

I know how to set the platform at runtime, but how can I figure out which plattform is used?
i could open a connection via jndi, get the driver name via metadata and build a mapping from driver name to ojb plattform name.

would that be a good solution?
andreas

Armin Waibel wrote:

Hi Andreas,

please have a look at javadoc of DataSource

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/sql/DataSource.html#getConnection(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)

It is possible to setup DataSource with the ability to specify user/password at runtime.

> if I tell ojb in repository_database.xml to use a specifc JNDI datasource,
> ojb could obtain a connection from this datasource without a
> password/username (because they are already configured wihtin the
> datasource), so why does ojb need them again?

If your DataSource does not expect user/password, you don't need to set this in repository_database.
But some user don't want to specify user/password in an configuration file (in OJB or in the app providing the Datasource), thus you have to pass it at runtime.

abo wrote:

hi,

I have read some postings about OJB's datasource handling and I'm confused now.
It's said, that you have to
a.) put username/password both in the datasource.xml and repository_database.xml or
b.) let username/password blank and give it to the broker (with pbkey) at runtime.

why is that?

if I tell ojb in repository_database.xml to use a specifc JNDI datasource,
ojb could obtain a connection from this datasource without a password/username (because they are already configured wihtin the datasource), so why does ojb need them again?

thanks very much for your answers,
andreas