Sebastian wrote:

I read that OJB used to have a client/server mode which has been removed from the code base for some reasons.

What is the suggested way to use OJB in a client server environment. I'm thinking about a Swing or SWT based Java client that somehow connects to an appserver which utlilizes the OJB PB API or the OTM.

Sounds like this is beyond the scope of OJB. Rather you're creating a rich client, so you might want to look at RCP projects, e.g. Spring RCP or Eclipse RCP.
Also, for the communication between client and server, have a look at web services projects (e.g. http://ws.apache.org/). Usual choices are for instance (depending on the complexity of the messaging) XML-RPC, RMI, SOAP, etc. E.g. for a small-sized project that simply wants to retrieve some data , XML-RPC or even RMI might suffice, whereas for a mid-sized one, you might want to use SOAP instead (e.g. via Apache Axis)

Tom