Hi Jon,

In your case the indirection table isn't a real indirection table, because you store additional information in column AUTHOR_ORDER. How is the AUTHOR_ORDER column populated? Think OJB will ignore this column when handling the m:n relation between Book and Author - or I'm wrong?

Anyway you should use the new 'orderby' element to specify the order by fields in your reference, the 'orderby-attribute' is deprecated now.

An example:

<collection-descriptor name="actors"
collection-class="org.apache.ojb.broker.util.collections.ManageableArrayList"
    element-class-ref="org.apache.ojb.broker.M2NTest$Actor"
    auto-retrieve="false"
    auto-update="false"
    auto-delete="false"
    indirection-table="M2N_TEST_ROLE"

    <orderby name="name" sort="ASC"/>
    <orderby name="MOVIE_ID_INT" sort="DESC"/>

    <fk-pointing-to-this-class column="MOVIE_ID_INT"/>
    <fk-pointing-to-this-class column="MOVIE_ID2_INT"/>
    <fk-pointing-to-this-class column="MOVIE_ID_STR"/>
    <fk-pointing-to-element-class column="ACTOR_ID"/>
    <fk-pointing-to-element-class column="ACTOR_ID2"/>
</collection-descriptor>

The first orderby point to the 'name' field in Movie class. The second one use the column name of a column in indirection table. If OJB doesn't find a field name it use the specified String unchanged (MOVIE_ID_INT).
The generated sql look like this:

SELECT A0.OBJ_ID,A0.OBJ_ID2,A0.NAME,MOVIE_ID_INT as ojb_col_4
FROM M2N_TEST_ACTOR A0,M2N_TEST_ROLE
WHERE ((((M2N_TEST_ROLE.MOVIE_ID_INT = '1')
AND M2N_TEST_ROLE.MOVIE_ID2_INT = '2')
AND M2N_TEST_ROLE.MOVIE_ID_STR = 'doTestAddNewEntries_1122401682890')
AND M2N_TEST_ROLE.ACTOR_ID = A0.OBJ_ID)
AND M2N_TEST_ROLE.ACTOR_ID2 = A0.OBJ_ID2
ORDER BY 4 DESC, 3

Use latest OJB from CVS (OJB_1_0_RELEASE branch) to run this test.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
OJB-users:

I would like to order a <collection-descriptor> based on the value of a column in an indirection table. For instance, if a BOOK has an m:n relation to AUTHORS specified via the indirection BOOK_AUTHOR_CROSS, and BOOK_AUTHOR_CROSS has columns:

BOOK_ID,
AUTHOR_ID,
AUTHOR_ORDER

I would like the Collection of AUTHORS for a given book to be ordered by the natural ordering of column AUTHOR_ORDER. I've found previous list posts that recommended that I do this via the orderby attribute in the collection-descriptor like this:

   <collection-descriptor
     name="authors"
collection-class="org.apache.ojb.broker.util.collections.ManageableArrayList"
     element-class-ref="package.name.Author"
     indirection-table="BOOK_AUTHOR_CROSS"
     auto-update="none"
     auto-delete="none"
     orderby="BOOK_AUTHOR_CROSS.AUTHOR_ORDER"
     proxy="true">
     <fk-pointing-to-this-class    column="BOOK_ID" />
     <fk-pointing-to-element-class column="AUTHOR_ID" />
  </collection-descriptor>

However, the SQL generated (from SQLGeneratorDefaultImpl) for the Collection look-up does not contain an "order by" clause, the collection is definitely not ordered properly, and changing the orderby attribute to a bogus column name does not throw an error (ie. BOOK_AUTHOR_CROSS.AUTHOR_ORDER_BOGUS) as I would expect it to do if it was being used.

I understand from the repository.dtd documentation that the orderby attribute is supposed to reference a <field-descriptor> on the element-class, but I thought OBJ used to support this alternate form of ordering for non-decomposed mappings.
Thanks,

Jon French
Programmer
ECOS Development Team