From: Thomas Dudziak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:43 PM
To: OJB Users List
Subject: Re: Key in object not propulated from Foreign key listed in
reference-descriptor

On 8/11/06, Wright, Jim (NIH/CIT) [C] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tom, I also did a little experiment to see the order in which each
> object is inserted by the store method.  However the only one that
> appeared to be inserted was my report object which is the parent of
> scientist and IOS objects.  I was hoping I could at least try putting
> the current scid value into the scid field of IOS.  However IOS
inserted
> but I had no relative idea when it was inserted due to the inability
> get the "firing sequence" of the inserts.  I don't like to work around
> the whole idea of ORM but since I cannot change our database I was
> hoping for a workaround.

Mhmm, references and collections are only inserted if the auto-update
property in the corresponding descriptor is set to 'object' (or 'true'
which is the older name).
If you want to see what is happening, configure P6Spy (there's a FAQ
entry for that) and check the SQL that OJB generates.

But in general, it is not such a good idea to use PK fields for FK
fields. As I said, the identity of the object will change if you
change its reference to point to another object. And ORM tools like
OJB depend on the identity. This is what defines the object: different
PKs = different objects.

Tom