Hello,
I've been using OJB in a small web-application project, with a success.
It is performing nicely and a simple PB API is great ...
I'm considering, if OJB would be good for more complicated multi-tier application used in distributed environment.

Suppose we have some remote service returning results that contain persistent classes instances there is a problem if proxied references or collections are used.
PersistenceBroker field of CollectionProxy is transient, so instance will serialize correctly, and the same is true for IndirectionHandler.
But what if a service is truly remote, ie. there is no access to database on client side. There is no chance that PersistenceBroker brought up on a client side (by means of PBKey handle) could materialize proxied collections or references. There even is no much sense in it, cause client can be many network hops away from server's database.
I think this problem could be resolved by providing a configuration option that would turn-on proxy materializing triggered by serialization of persistent classes. This would result in fully materialized model transfered to a client, and transparent proxy handling for serialization.

What do you think?

BTW. I don't want to use c/s mode.