Sorry I forgot the links:

Thomas Mahler wrote:
Hi Haytham,

Haytham Samad wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to OJB and very interested in using this tool in a new project that
I am working on. I was just wondering how I can get information about OJB's
performance and whether or not it is ready for production use?

OJB is used in production application since version 0.5. We have about 6.000 download each month and a wide user base using it in a large variety of production scenarios.

We provide a regression test suite for QA. You can use this testsuite to check if OJB works smoothly in your target environment.
(see )
http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/platforms.html

We also provide a performance testsuite that compares OJB performance against native JDBC. This test will give you an impression of the performance impact OJB will have in your target environment.
(see )
http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/performance.html

Are there
any aspects of OJB that still need improvements that I need to watch out
for?

I regard the core functionality for quite stable. If you follow the mail archive you will see that severe bugs are very rare. Bugs are often fixed within few hours. I don't know much commercial vendors with such short response times...

But:

- We don't have cool graphical mapping tools yet. Our forward- and reverse-engineering tools are not yet perfect. This is certainly an area where we have to improve.
(Most developers are happy with editing a simple xml based mapping repository)

- Currently we don't have our own JDO implementation. We are providing a simple Plugin to the JDO reference implementation. By using Sun's JDO Reference implementation and our plugin you have a full JDO compliant O/R mapping tool. But it's no ideal solution, at least from a performance point of view.
A full JDO implementation is in Scope for OJB 2.0.

Can I replace those parts with something else? These answers will
really help me make a decision quickly since time is an issue. As you have
realized I am new to OJB and your patience and help is appreciated.

I hope my answer was fast enough :-)

cheers,
Thomas

Haytham