Rufus,

On Sep 13, 2012, at 7:04 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.poll...@okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just put up post on Open Knowledge Foundation blog entitled
> "Managing Expectations: Open Data, Technology and Government 2.0 –
> What Should We, And Should We Not Expect":
>
> <http://blog.okfn.org/2012/09/13/managing-expectations-ii-open-data-technology-and-government-2-0/>
> <https://twitter.com/OKFN/status/246219882436378625>
>
> This distils some accumulated thinking (occurring over quite some
> time!) and I'd very much welcome any thoughts or feedback people have.
>
> Regards,

Both are excellent posts describing an important consideration. The key, of
course, is education, which is already referred to by your title "Managing
expectations..."

Things are changing. Any one person can only do so much, so while I personally
want to concentrate on helping open up the data and relevant tools, others can
and will take up the challenge of doing something meaningful with them. Of
course, big companies are out their touting the opportunities with, even making
money from, big open data. But, it is heartening to see here in the Bay Area,
startups that are founded on the model of providing big data analysis services
even to scientists. So, if a scientist wants massive amounts of data analyzed
for research, but doesn't know Hadoop from a hygrometer, one of these startups
can do that as a research contract.

Exciting times.

--
Puneet Kishor