The only "canonical form" that I know of is to follow what is in a
library name authority file, such as the Library of Congress name
file. You can find it at:

  http://authorities.loc.gov/

If you search on "Adobe" you see a long list that includes Adobe
Creative Team, Adobe Systems, and others. If you look in the left-hand
column there you will see a red button that says either: Authorized
heading, or References. A "reference" is a heading that is not
preferred, but would instead lead to the Authorized heading:

    Adobe Systems Inc. --> see: Adobe Systems

The format of the data isn't ideal, so it can be difficult sometimes
figuring out what goes with what.

This database will probably also answer your other question about
pseudonyms. Currently, the Anglo-American libraries (US, Canada, UK,
Australia) follow a set of rules that record "real" names and
pseudonyms as separate entries. The idea is that each name represents
a "persona" and that most of the time people who are looking for
things are aware of the persona (Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll) so this is
what they are likely to look for. They may not know the person's real
name.

If you want to check a wider range of name databases, there is a
combined database called the Virtual International Authority File
(VIAF) at
   http://viaf.org

Many national libraries contribute to that, and you may find names
that aren't available from the Library of Congress. You will also see
that in some countries different choices are made about how to record
a name. VIAF brings them all together -- and gives them a VIAF
identifier which I hope we will be able to use in the future to make
the catalog more global.

If you don't find what you are looking for in these databases (I
didn't find Adobe Development Team) then you have to make a decision
on your own. The entries in the database may serve to give you a
pattern to follow.

Note that there are other communities creating name files, in
particular there are some academic projects connecting names from
academic article databases to actual persons. I don't have these at my
fingertips, but they probably cover the OL books as well as the
library name databases do.

kc

Quoting Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com>:

> Below are some examples of potential merges for corporate authors.  Is
> there any place that describes whether or not these should be merged
> and what the canonical form should be?  If there's no standard, do
> folks want to weigh in on what they think the right thing to do is?
>
> Tom
>
> Adobe Systems Inc.
> Adobe Development Team
> Adobe Creative Team
>
> U.S. Government
> USGPO  [ie. US Government Printing Office]
>
> Rand McNally and Company.
> Rand McNally Staff
>
> IEEE Vehicular Technology Society
> IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference
> Ontario) IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (48th : 1998 : Ottawa
>
> Delorme Publishing Company
> DeLorme Mapping Company
> [Corporate name change]
>
> Texas Instruments
> Texas Instruments Engineering
>
> Dorling Kindersley Inc.
> Dorling Kindersley Ltd
> DK Publishing
> [Combination of different subsidiaries, plus a name change over time]

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234