On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Ben Companjen <bencompan...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There must have been good discussions on this topic before, but I was
> too lazy to search the archives [1, 2] myself.

One discussion of things which are not books is here in the archives:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-discuss@archive.org/msg00730.html

These were apparently imported from Amazon or some other book seller who
considered anything with an ISBN to be something to be included in the
catalog, including calendars, posters, gift items, displays, etc.

The question of personal/institutional holdings is actually related to
something I was going to start a separate thread about, but it's close
enough to include here. It affects Internet Archive "holdings" because
there are many instances of books being scanned multiple times.

For example, if we look at this work:
http://openlibrary.org/works/OL6660701W/Margaret_Fuller we see the 1920
edition cataloged four times -- three for IA scans and a fourth for an
extra spurious WorldCat entry which differs only in the tiniest of
punctuation:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/margaret-fuller-a-psychological-biography/oclc/21497071
http://www.worldcat.org/title/margaret-fuller-a-psychological-biography/oclc/183791

It seems like this should really be a single edition record with links to
a) the three IA records and b) the two WorldCat records, but that would
require an extra level of hierarchy in the OpenLibrary model.

Tom