Karen,

AFAIK, Work records do not merge automatically. So if you want to
bring all translations of a work together, the best thing is to start
from 'the' original work and click "add edition?".
If you then "enter librarian mode" there are extra fields to enter the
original language and optionally original title (which, I guess, is
the same as the work title). That is, when there is no Edition record
already.

Changing the title of existing duplicate works makes it easier to
merge later, but merging has to be done by hand; someone has to tell a
bot to merge specific works. Anand, is there such a bot?

Regards,

Ben