On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM, xan <x...@0l3.de> wrote:

> What is ISBN-13 for? Until now, I always thought it extended the number of
> possible registered books but it can’t if all of it’s extra digits are
> fixed.

The 979 prefix was also added, doubling the size of the available space.
 The other advantage to ISBN-13 is it's also the EAN, bring it into line
with all the other things in the world that are sold through retail
channels.

> - Could we implement a bot which adds missing ISBN-10/13 based on the ones
> that are there? You then wouldn’t have to bother adding both.

Yes, that could be implemented.  Better yet would be to just normalize them
on input and store them normalized.

Tom