A book from 1968 is still considered in copyright. The out-of-copyright
cut-off for the US is 1923. Determining ACTUAL copyright (not just
looking at the date) is very complex. Here's the chart on how to
determine it:

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Anything published after 1964 with a copyright notice is in copyright
for 95 years. Come back in 2058 :-)

I don't know about the later editions being available as ebooks. They
may have been scanned, but unless the copyright holder has released
them, they shouldn't be openly available.

kc

On 5/5/14, 5:10 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> As an example, I am interested in an ebook for
> https://openlibrary.org/books/OL5613510M/The_economic_problem
> (specifically the 1st edition from 1968, not the later ones). Strangely,
> there are ebooks for a few later editions, but not the first. If it was
> due to copyright issues, I'd expect the opposite. If I click on the
> "Internet Archive" link
>
> https://archive.org/details/economicproblem00heil
>
> and then take the URL of the animated GIF
>
> https://ia600506.us.archive.org/16/items/economicproblem00heil/economicproblem00heil.gif?cnt=0
>
> and go up a level
>
> https://ia600506.us.archive.org/16/items/economicproblem00heil/
>
> there is a listing of what looks like a complete scan of the whole book.
> (I can't be sure since most of the files can't be downloaded. Is it a
> security issue that I'm even allowed to list the files?)
>
> So my question is, if the whole book has in fact been scanned, why is it
> only available as a protected DAISY, and not an ebook, although a few
> later editions are also available as ebooks? More generally, is there a
> huge amount of scanned content that's unavailable due to some kind of
> programming issue, and not copyright?

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
m: 1-510-435-8234