I did the exercise of mapping my personal fiction library onto OL
which resulted in about 90 books that aren't (AFAICT) in the database.
I'd be happy to donate them for scanning iff I could be confident they
would in fact be scanned, and the ebooks made available for lending. But
I'm unsure of what actually happens to donations. The Book Drive page
mentions that

   "we will make these digital books as available to the world as we
    can"

    But what does that actually mean in terms of producing a lendable
ebook out the back end (or not)? Does the answer vary by the publisher,
the author, the rarity of the book, the phase of the moon, the amount of
cash sent to the rights owners, etc.? My vague understanding of public
library e-lending is that they usually are sold a fixed number of
loans/ebook they purchase - does OL work like that even when it
generates an ebook internally from a physical one?

    I would not want to donate books that don't get scanned, or get
scanned but aren't made available for general lending. If I can't borrow
them online when all is said and done, I'll hang onto my physical
copies.

    Jon