Quoting George Oates <g...@archive.org>:

> My vote would be to adopt the Freebase model. An author is a person,
>  after all.
> Seems to allow more flexibility into other systems that aren't
> biblio specific.
>
> Generic person, perhaps with types of author, subject, and
> potentially even OL
> user (but that wouldn't necessarily be exposed in the RDF, I guess).

George, at the moment this isn't supported by OL's data design. I
could try to export the author RDF emphasizing the "person-ness," but
the structure subject/person isn't correlated with the author/, and
there isn't a way to bring them together in the API if the database
treats them otherwise. Both persons would need to share an identifier,
but they don't. And I do think this would create considerable
differences in the UI, although Edward and Anand, who best understand
the underlying structure, may have some wisdom on that.

Since you are directing the project, however, you could instigate a
design change of this nature.

kc

> Karen Coyle wrote:
>> I don't disagree, but I think this is a new discussion about how OL
>> models the bibliographic world. Unfortunately, I can only attempt to
>> output what has been modeled. I suspect there are numerous points
>> where we could discuss the model being used.
>>
>> kc
>>

>> Quoting Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com>:

>>> I'm not convinced separate entities makes sense even in the context of
>>> a library, but it's definitely going to confuse real world users.
>>> Intentionally introducing such an archaic concept into a modern design
>>> seems wrong to me.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth Freebase uses a single entry for the author, the
>>> book subject, the film subject, the person the glacier was named
>>> after, the influencer of other academics, etc.
>>> http://www.freebase.com/view/en/knud_johan_victor_rasmussen
>>>
>>> To my mind, these linkages are where the power is and forcing
>>> indirection through an artificial entity like a card catalog card just
>>> weakens the linkages and makes them harder to follow.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> [25 lines of .sig, advertising, and corporate privacy notices elided]

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234