I always love to see the comments from Steve Ley and Mike Klepp.  Always on
target, and always at the heart of the subject.... and the heart of the
purpose of this list.  Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.  Who knows
what's "stock?"  My guess is that if you checked the trucks of the members
on this list, you'd find that 90% (or more??) of them are not truly stock.
In other words, they're not completely .....every nut and bolt....like they
rolled off the assembly line.  My '47-2 sure isn't.  But I sure call it
stock, because it looks that way to anybody who checks it out.  How can we
argue with anyone who wants to add seat belts?  And how can we argue with
anyone who wants to swap a 216 for a 235 (as my PO did)?  And if we add a
dual master cylinder, wouldn't we all say that only makes sense for safety's
sake?  We do all this stuff to our trucks, and we still say we want trucks
that are "stock."  Goodness only knows where the line is.  I love the term
"spiritually stock", which I believe Rob (or someone else??) first put out.
I consider my truck spiritually stock, even though LOTS of my ol' truck
ain't anywhere near how it looked in its original state. So, if someone
wants to swap a V-8 for a 216, we cringe.  But if they swapped a 216 for a
235, we'd say, "That's OK, been there, done that."  I've struggled with this
issue for a long time....what's stock, spiritually stock, and what's
modified?  WHEW!, who knows??  Is "copperhead" a good color?  Definitely NOT
stock, but it sure looks great on that truck (to me).  Is swapping a 216 for
a 350 V-8 acceptable?  GAWD, I hope not!  But what's the difference in doing
this and putting in a 235 or a 261?  Just a matter of two cylinders.  I'm
not sure any of us could clearly define where the line is between stock and
modified.  Haven't we all...or almost all...modified our trucks?  Even if
you've done a total frame-off restoration and kept everything perfect,
you've probably put better hardware and paint on it than it originally came
with.  Bottom line, save the old iron.  How you do it is completely up to
you.  Just save an ol' truck from rusting away or going to the crusher.
That's all that matters.  The rest we'll sort out along the way.....and have
great fun doing it.
Tom Caperton
'47-2nd Series ... in Whiteville, NC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]