From: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 1:23 PM
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Digest Number 2421

> [...]
>            From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       3. Continuing Brake Saga
>            From: Kenneth Cluley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       4. Re: Off topic but....
>            From: Steve Lemberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       5. Re: Continuing Brake Saga
>            From: "K M Lehmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       6. Re: Re: Women and trucks...
>            From: Mr JERRY CYRE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       7. Little off topic
>            From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       8. RE: Little off topic and some 6V gen info
>            From: "Jeff Pohlar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       9. Re: Gener-nator
>            From: "Ed Fallon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:36:37 -0000
>    From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Off topic but....
>
> I know this is off topic, but I seem to recall in past discussions
> someone having mentioned that they were into restoring old Mercedes
> Benz cars....
>
> If that person is still around I would like to get some input on
> parts sources and such for my old 64 sedan, seems like its a lot
> harder to come by that stuff for them than it is for our old
> trucks...
> -Chris
>
> 47 Chev. Loadmaster     53 Chev. 3100
> 63 Chev. 1 ton 4x4      63 T-Bird
> 64 Mercedes 190D        66 Toy. Corona
> 68 Mustang              73 Chev. 2500 Cmpr Spcl
> 75 Toy. Landcruiser
> And still collecting....it's an addiction....what can I say......
>
> --Took my old landcruiser out for an exploration run on the back of
> the property this morning, saw a little hill that looked like
> fun...got hi centered on top of it and smushed the
> exhaust.....interesting feeling it is...sitting there teetering back
> and forth in silence wondering how to get it started....(turns out
> the culprit was a hidden rock about an inch under the dirt)oh well,
> it needed a new pipe anyway...

> Message: 2
>    Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:09:13 -0500
>    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Anybody out there?
>
> It's a standard half ton 6 bolt hub.  After '58 Napco used Chevy brake
parts,
> probably because Chevy was offering it from the factory.
>
> If I ever move to MT I'll have to get one of those fancy fridges that can
> maintain a steady temperature, not just keep things cold!
> Ed Miller
>

> From: "K M Lehmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Anybody out there?
>
> Sounds like you're getting some of our Prosser weather Ed. I guess NAPCO
> used several different manufactures in their conversions. Does your axle
> have a 5 bolt pattern? When I worked in Montana I never could get used to
> the crunchy beer like the natives.
> Lee

> Message: 3
>    Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:06:38 -0800 (PST)
>    From: Kenneth Cluley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Continuing Brake Saga
>
> Due to some braking issues (mushy pedal, brakes grabbing at slow speeds,
etc) I decided to rebuild my master cylinder.  Thoroughly cleaned all parts
and reassembled IAW shop manual.  Had a small rubber washer that does not
show on the exploded diagram in the manual and did not have a replacement in
rebuild kit.  It came off of the push rod assembly but I wasn't sure whether
it went on the inside or outside of the end cap that is held on by the lock
ring.  I put it on the inside (M/C side) of the end cap and then put the
lock ring on.

>   Installed the M/C on the truck and bled all lines IAW the manual.  Made
the toe board adjustment.

>   Brakes are now locked and will not release!
>
>   What can be the problem?  Could that rubber washer on the inside of the
push rod endcap be holding pressure the brakes?  Should it be on the outside
of the endcap of the push rod.  Can there be too much fluid in the system?

> [...]
> Wichita Falls, TX

> Message: 4
>    Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:06:21 -0800 (PST)
>    From: Steve Lemberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Off topic but....
>
> Chris,
>
> I don't know if I ever said anything but, I do have
> some good sources for Mercedes parts.   I owned an
> Independant Mercedes shop and still have friends in
> the trade.   That said you can spend a small fortune
> buying parts for older cars and never get it back.   I
> know Frank Barret, the Editor of the Star Magazine, he
> restored a 59 220SE and by his own admission it was a
> labor of love.   I also have a friend who I am helping
> tomorrow that owns a 190D, I think a 1960.   He may
> have spairs, he is a pack rat and has 40+ years of
> junk to prove it.
>
> Feel free to contact me off list at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Steve
>
> --- Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I know this is off topic, but I seem to recall in
> > past discussions
> > someone having mentioned that they were into
> > restoring old Mercedes
> > Benz cars....
> >
> > If that person is still around I would like to get
> > some input on
> > parts sources and such for my old 64 sedan, seems
> > like its a lot
> > harder to come by that stuff for them than it is for
> > our old
> > trucks...
> > -Chris
> >
> > 47 Chev. Loadmaster     53 Chev. 3100
> > 63 Chev. 1 ton 4x4      63 T-Bird
> > 64 Mercedes 190D        66 Toy. Corona
> > 68 Mustang              73 Chev. 2500 Cmpr Spcl
> > 75 Toy. Landcruiser
> > And still collecting....it's an addiction....what
> > can I say......
> >
> > --Took my old landcruiser out for an exploration run
> > on the back of
> > the property this morning, saw a little hill that
> > looked like
> > fun...got hi centered on top of it and smushed the
> > exhaust.....interesting feeling it is...sitting
> > there teetering back
> > and forth in silence wondering how to get it
> > started....(turns out
> > the culprit was a hidden rock about an inch under
> > the dirt)oh well,
> > it needed a new pipe anyway...
> >

> > Ole Chevy and GMC trucks rule!
> >
> > To unsubscribe, send an email (with no subject, no
> > body, just the email), to:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> http://mail.yahoo.com

> Message: 5
>    Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:34:40 -0800
>    From: "K M Lehmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Continuing Brake Saga
>
> Ken, That rubber washer is probably keeping the piston from retracting all
> the way to release the pressure. The only rubber washer I can think of on
> those MC's went in the bottom of the cylinder for the spring to rest

Christmas
> card...
> Consider it sent to all the listers....
>
> www.flyingfoto.com/3800/flare_truck_V3.jpg
>
> We had our first date in the thing back in 1979, she loves riding around
in
> it.
> Working on it on the other hand hasn't been of great interest to her.
> She has her own pre-occupations.
>
> Best to all this holiday season.
> Help those you can, and be kind to those you can't.
>
> Casey
>

> Ole Chevy and GMC trucks rule!
>
> To unsubscribe, send an email (with no subject, no body, just the email),
to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Yahoo! Groups Links

> Message: 7
>    Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:33:45 EST
>    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Little off topic
>
> While things are kinda slow I had a question about g.m. sixes.  Over  the
> years I have heard the term "Blue Flame Six".  Can anybody tell me what
engines
> these are?  My guess was the sixes from the old Corvettes.   Thought the
> experts from this list would know.  Thought about this while  trying to
warm up my
> hands out in the shop.  Getting kinda cold early  in eastern Washington
State
> this year.
> Any thoughts on this would be interesting to hear.  Thanks in  Advance.
> Virgil  53 3100  Richland WA.

> Message: 8
>    Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 07:51:04 -0500
>    From: "Jeff Pohlar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Little off topic and some 6V gen info
>
> Your guess is correct. The Blue Flame Six was the early Corvette 235 with
> slightly higher compression, "sporty" solid lifter camshaft, and triple
> sidedraft carbs.
>
> Just for everybody's reference: My 6V generator quit charging last week so
> carried it down to a local gen/starter rebuilder who I completely trust
and
> have used for years. He gave me the bad news that all the wound components
> were shot including the field windings and the armature. The good news is
> that all these components are still available new thru his normal sources
> and the total rebuild with be worth about $140. During my minor research I
> came across an alternative in Hemmings. Dons Starters and Alternators in
> Oregon  www.gener-nator.com  modifies generators with alternator
components
> to give alternator performance with the stock look of the original gen.
Sure
> its pricey but still a cool idea. 6, 8, or 12 volts at 50 to 60 amps.
>
> Jeff in Clermont, FL
> 53 3800

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links