Deve, I agree with you about hot rods, but I also like eating fish
eggs. And accordion music.

So I guess we all live in glass houses.

I remind myself how much these guys (and gals too) love these hot
rods.  It is a cultural fact that hot rodding and customizing cars in
general are American art forms which long ago transcended their
original transportation context.

I grew up building plastic models of Ed Big Daddy Roth's Rat Fink et
al (and we would frequently enjoy exploding them with cherry bombs)
and inventing my own wild*ss death-machines out of spare parts.  Mr
Roth's machines are now displayed in high-end galleries from time to
time and owned by museums.  Not CAR museums, but ART museums.

My favorite memories (from New Mexico) are my nursery school teacher
picking us up in her Model A and my father borrowing his friend's 37
Chevy pickup to go steal sand from the desert for our new sand box.
And moving to Ohio (to a five year old Ohio, Iowa and Idaho are the
same place!) and counting the Impalas and DeSotos and Oldsmobiles
(which looked like they were crying) -- and the wonderful hard
worming trucks with smiles on their faces.  The stock trucks had
enough color and fantasy built into them already for a five year old,
and for a fifty-year old it remains just as powerful.

----jt

On Jan 1, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Deve wrote:

> I am one weird cookie because personally, I don't care if GOD
> bought it, its
> sacriledge to hack up one of these trucks, cut the frame, move the
> steering
> gearbox, etc, etc to put a power plant in the truck that changes
> the weight
> and balance characteristics, makes the brake system less efficient,
> changes
> the wear and tear characteristics of the rest of the parts in the
> drivetrain, and basically trashes a once beautiful piece of our
> heritage. I
> say the same thing every time I see a vintage ford car that someone
> made
> into a rod.
>
> Make no mistake, its MY problem, but its noteworthy for people who
> are on
> the edge, deciding, "do I keep it basically original, or do I make
> a hotrod
> out of it" to know that there are people in this world that CRINGE
> everytime
> they see a hotrod that could have been a classic.
>
> Deve
> www.speedprint.com/Deves50

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links