  From: Jeffrey Pohlar
  To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:57 PM
  Subject: [old-chevy-truck] HO rear ends

  Let me add to the subject a little of what I think I know and something that
I do know for sure. Since the rear axle we're discussing is a Hotchkiss style
design, I'm assuming that is where the "HO" designation began. I do know that
the 72 designates the 7200 pound load capacity of the rear axle in the 47-54
(and maybe later) one ton trucks. The 3/4 tons had (please correct me if I
wrong here) HO50's designating the 5000 pound load capacity of the rear axle.
The 72's have a "load bolt" that help support the ring gear whereas the 50's do
not.

  I recently finished rebuilding a HO72 with 4.57's and have got a butt load of
money in it. The main pinion bearing was almost $400 by itself. That bearing is
a real beauty.

  Jeff in Clermont, FL
  53 3800 Chev

[EMAIL PROTECTED]