Cale, when I started my truck I had less experience than you. With the help of
the guys here, you should do just fine. I'll be the first to tell you your best
friends will be a shop manual and a factory assembly manual and you can get
both at Chevy Duty.

1) If the grommet is in good shape, there is no reason to do anything other
than to replace the knobs and cables as you suggest. You will no doubt have
issues with the throttle cable. What you will find is that if you pull the knob
out, the accelerator spring tension will pull it right back in. I think the
original cables had resistance built into them. I solved the problem by
CAREFULLY kinking the cable slightly with a pair of needle nose until the
tension seemed right. However, reality is that you will never use the throttle
so no real need to mess with it.

2) Once you have the channel cleaned out, the new rubber seal should lay right
in the channel pretty as you please. A bit of 3M weatherstrip adhesive should
hold it in place.

3) The dual filament bulbs have two different candle powers. You will want the
brightest to be your turn signal or it will be washed out by the other one.
Trial and error is the only effective way to tell which is which. On the set I
got one wire was green and the other was black. I quickly learned that the
brighter filament was connected to the green wire on one light and the black
wire on the other. Unfortunately, I can't remember which bulbs I used but I do
remember it wasn't hard to figure out. I just took one of the lights with me to
Pep Boys.

Roy