THANX ALL ! .

I took a 3/4" deep socket and some penetrant , wire brushes and so on , my son
attacked it with gusto and wound up angrily breaking off three of the U-Bolts
in a fit of pique .

It turns out this old Task Force truck was a desert rig (?) from Arizona , the
tie rod had been gusseted by dint of welding some 1/4" angle iron to it and the
axle beam proper , is _bent_ (wow) .

I removed the leaf springs and tossed them on the curb for the scrap guys , the
same will happen to the axle with spindles as soon as I get time to strip off
the brakes .

Of course , this was the maiden voyage for my '76 C2500 Jimmy , it buzzed right
out there and back with aplomb , my son even likes it and wants me to keep it
now .

After we got back and unloaded and dropped him off , I took it to the Test Only
smog station where if flew right through the emissions test ~ the Technician
was impressed with how clean I'd made it and how well it purred .

-Nate