From: "corval...@peoplepc.com" <corval...@peoplepc.com>
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, August 30, 2010 6:49:15 PM
Subject: RE: [old-chevy-truck] Transmission kit for 1941 thru 48 Chevrolets

>From other web sites; ...bill in Corvallis

"All Chevy pass cars built from '40 through '48 had the vacuum assist system
as standard.
Personally, I considered it to be a bit of a headache. It was difficult to
shift the trans while the engine wasn't running, for example (try shifting
from reverse to second so that you could get a push-start if you had a dead
battery for instance).
Like the switch that reversed the polarity of the ignition every time the
starter pedal was depressed, this Chevy "innovation" wasn't thought of all
that highly back in the day - and many were deep-sixed long ago.

...and...

"The vacuum cylinder which provides the assist is located under the car on
the driver side near the transmission. If present, there will be a hose that
runs up to the intake manifold to supply the vacuum. Simply locate it and
follow it to find the cylinder.
Many Chevy's that were originally equipped with this vacuum shift assist as
standard equipment through 1948 had it removed at some time in their lives,
though. As the seals wore, got hard, or hoses cracked the system became
troublesome at best. Many outfits (Sears Roebuck for example) marketed kits
to convert Chevy's to a completely manual (non-assisted) shift linkage for
only a couple of Dollars."