Crap likes to accumulate in the block drain plug.  I've seen some you had to
break it up with a screwdriver.  I would recommend you finish the build and
when it is complete, simply back flush real good.

--- On Wed, 1/5/11, fahrbach51 <mfahrb...@hughes.net> wrote:

From: fahrbach51 <mfahrb...@hughes.net>
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Yikes
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 7:32 PM

      So, I'm just going out into the shop a bit each evening, cleaning here or
there on the 261 that's safely on a stand.  I decided to take the plug out at
the rear left side that I assume is the coolant drain hole.  I turned the plug
once with my ratchet, and it just "sort of" twisted off.  Actually, it was more
like -- fell off.  I stuck a probe into the hole, expecting to feel the hard
end of the broken plug, and only found the hole to be filled with a black ooze.
 It has sat overnight, and what has accumulated on the floor looks to be part
coolant and part, well, not.  Am I looking at a surefire sign that there's a
crack in this block and that oil and coolant are living together?

Mike Fahrbach