I have a good 3 legged stand, and have had no trouble with it. It's an older
Walker brand, so it's built stout. One thing you do need to watch out for
though, is your 292 or any inline 6 leverages the weight out farther than a v8,
so it puts a lot of strain on the head of the engine stand. I don't think the
cheap ones will hold up for any length of time with an inline hanging on them.
My son had a jeep six on his good stand, and it sagged down at the outer end.
Just be careful!

And if you go the cheap route, definitely get the 4 legs.