You might start with a valve job on the head, or buy a rebuilt head. This
would allow you to see if the cylinders are scored.

I will guess it is burned valves. .bill in oregon

  _____

From: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dan Lovell
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:43 AM
To: OldChevyTruck
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Engine Rebuild - 58 Apache - 235 6 cyl

Hello all,

I acquired a 58 Chevy Apache last summer and haven't been able to get it to
run. I come to find out its the engine: compression is shot, the first 3
cylinders measured 40 psi, 70 psi, 40 psi... we didn't continue past that.
I'm told it's either the rings or the head gasket.

Will this require a full engine rebuild?
Is this a project that a dedicated do it yourselfer can pull off?
What is the best guide for rebuilding this engine, and any tidbits of advice
you can offer?

Thanks to all who post on this group, it's most helpful.

Dan