When this happened to me it was my master cylinder.  It was completely shot.
It was amazing that the truck stopped at all.  Testament to the great simple
engineering of old American trucks.  Anyway, we stuck in a rebuilt one and it
bled up and got firm right away and now it stops on a (very large and slow)
dime.  So, as obvious as this probably sounds,  I guess it pays to check the
integrity of each individual component.