I forgot to reply when this was discussed about 2 weeks ago.

That Rallye Red '70 W30 wagon is a total fraud.

Here is what I wrote to the auction promoter in Auburn, IN.  Jeez, isn't it
odd that Kruse Auctions is based in Auburn, IN?

<<<<Dear Sirs,

 I don't know who owns the '70 wagon you are promoting for an upcoming
auction, but the info they gave you is fraudulent.  That car is NOT factory
built.  It was bought off the street in Phoenix in '86 and CONVERTED to a
442 W30 wagon.  The guy who built it is a friend, and I know he still has
paperwork with the vin for this car. The car has been shown at Olds National
meets starting in '87 in Lansing.  I was there. If someone buys the car
under this maze of crap that you cannot verify, you deserve to be sued. Any
long time Olds collector will know the car.

Just a fair warning.  This fraud crap with muscle cars is ruining the
"hobby".

Good luck.  You will need it.

Joe Varley
Olds Club member since 1974 >>>>>

The car originally had 44 options, so many that it had 2 stickers to list it
all. The car was originally Burnished Gold with brown vinyl interior. To
make a 442 wagon, he had to eliminate 8 or 9 options that didn't fit with
the 442 "conversion", such as a power bench seat, etc. The car was built by
Randy Sullivan in Phoenix in '86 and '87, and shown for the first time at
the '87 Nats in Lansing.  I was there. It was painted by Jimmy Simaris in
Milwaukee.  The interior was beautifully done by Danny's in Phoenix.  It was
sold to Kevin Lowe in NJ.  He knew it was a "built" car. Can't say it was a
clone. (Of what??) Kevin received all of the original paperwork, stickers,
etc. with the car.  It has changed hands a couple times over the years that
I know of. Don't know who created the bullcrap paper trail for the
"authentic" wagon. It seems like the NY state owner "created" the original
paperwork. Randy left the original trim tag on the car.  Don't know if it
has been changed.  Probably has. Randy still has copies of some original
paperwork.  At least the VIN is still the same as the original car!!  That
is the proof that it is a total fake.

The other wagon they referred to is often called the "Mondello" wagon and
featured in a series of articles in Car life in the early '70's. The same
guy, Randy, bought that Sebring Yellow car too in CA in the 80's, restored
it, sold it back to the guy he bought it from, who sold it to Mondello who
originally built up the engine. Last I knew Mondello still had the car. When
Randy bought the yellow car, the title was still in Car Life magazine's
name. The second owner just "jumped" the title.

What of crock of bull!!!  Can't wait to hear back from them. Randy wrote to
them, threatening to sue, and he will if he is pissed off enough!

Joe Varley
    AZ