Carb has teensy "air leak" inside, if you take the choke off, one of the 3 legs has a hole in it. {Don't take the choke off just to see that, practice on a scrap carb!} You are supposed to put a plastic nipple in that when you put the choke housing on the carb, otherwise, the air draw will mainly suck in dirty air at that junction.

Armed with that bit of knowledge, I put a vacuum gage on the choke tube and got about 4" of vacuum. Should be plenty enough to draw in hot air.

Valve at exit of LH xst manifold is supposed to close off that exit when motor is cold, such that LH cyls' xst runs thru the intake to heat the carb and choke. Is that working correctly?

That'd be the EFE valve. I take a looksee.. oh my, the linkage is disconnected between the vacuum motor and the exhaust manifold. Reconnect and replace missing hairpin fastener, and viola. Choke now works as intended.

Thank ye muchly.

Secondaries still won't open, but reason is no longer because of choke lockout pin. On to Level II Diagnostics.

drc