Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:25:21 -0500
From: "Faye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting  hot

 WE  ARE  NEW  TO  THE  OLDS  FAMILY  WITH   1969  442   YESTERDAY  WE  =
WENT  TO  SMALL   TOWN  PARADE   AND  OVERHEATED  BAD  ARE  ALL OLDS  =
SUBJECT  TO  RUN  HOT?
  WE  HAVE  A  GTO  WHICH  RUNS  WARM  TO  BUT  WE   KEEP  HER  DOWN  TO =
AROUND   180  ON  THE  ROAD  218  IN  HEAVY  TRAFFIC ,BUT  THE 442  =
RUNS  AROUND  220  ON THE  ROAD.
================================
Well, no, from the factory they did not run overly hot.
Therefore, something has changed to cause this condition.

 IS  THERE  ANYTHING  WE  CAN  DO  ?
 ANY  HELP  APPRECIATED

 THANKS
 Bob and Faye
=============================
Oh sure
First off, let's define HOT
Gages can lie [be inaccurate]
Is "hot" confirmed by touch test, or oh maybe thermometer test? Or, puking the green juice onto the ground or into the overflow tank?

Not to cast undue aspersions on your diagnostic abilities, but I have seen folks say "the car overheated" because the hose sprung a leak, and the steam they saw translated to "overheated" in their mind. Not unlike the dolt that called the FIRE DEPT when the wife crashed the 68 98 into a truck. Dolt steps out of the BAR and sees STEAM and calls the fire dept. Which they sent US a $250 bill for. Thanks... but I digress.

Seems to me like overheating come is one or both of these flavors:
1) making too much heat [possible but less common]
2) not getting rid if it fast enough. [more common]
 2a) mainly during extended idle [more common]
 2b) mainly during higher speeds driving

"1969  442" suffering from condition 2b above, eh?

Hmmmm..

the chance that this engine is stock and untouched is right about zero.
So, what-all has been changed from the correctly functioning factory system?

Do you have a later smogger 455 maybe?
When my '68 came to me, it had a '67 400 engine. That intake has no place to put the Thermal Vacuum Valve that '68 models used, to alleviate overheating at idle. Therefore, it did not have one, therefore, it overheated during cruises, stuck in traffic, etc. Exacerbated by running crappy fuel.

If your engine is high compression, the timing was set to oh 10-12 degrees and all was well in 1969. With leaded hi-ocatne fuel. My car was in CA which required 1) retarded timing and 2) disconnect of the dist'r vacuum advance, to comply with emisisons regulations at the time. Maybe last year your driver buys 93 or even 87 octane. Engine detonates, so timing gets retarded. Retarded timing leads to overheating, esp. at idle. Running correct fuel and timing and finally fitting the correct thermal vacuum switch to my car solved that issue. I run 25% 110 octane racing gas and 75% 94 or 93 octane now, with proper timing, on the 1967 UHC 425 motor, and it runs GREAT.

But your car runs hot even when driving.
So, we can assume pretty safely that airflow thru the radiator is not the issue. yes, you should have a 6-7 bladed clutched fan and the proper shroud and shroud seals, and all that, but that is manly for at-idle airflow. In steady state road operation, other factors should dominate.

Thermostat must be in place and functioning properly, of course. What else gets changed typically?

Perhaps you can read the ID numbers, or number/ letter/ dot/ circle/ whatever on your water pump's RH outlet boss? It might be the wrong pump [typically AC cars and some others have Y72 Heavy Duty Cooling which uses a different water pump]. Rebuilt pumps often bear the cheesiest stamped open pc of crap impeller they can obtain. Real factory pumps generally use a closed-back cast iron impeller. Perhaps you can read the ID on the crank and WP pulleys, or at least measure or roughly guess their diameters? At least look see whether crank pulley is larger or smaller than the WP pulley, and by how much. Pulley sizes determine the ratio of WP speed to engine speed, and are part of the engineered PACKAGE that worked just fine when it left the factory.

If there's any doubt at all about the radiator's ability to dump the heat- thermometer ck at inlet and outlet should show a large temp drop across the radiator- then a new one is in order. As mentioned before, go with at the very least a 3-row, preferably 4-row. It's pretty easy to jerry-rig a 4-row in place of the 3-row, though a bit tougher on the '69 models because the radiator top plate holder C's are formed right into the part, not just a part welded onto it. Thus the $300 price for used 4-row plates I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/69-72-Cutlass-442-4-Core-Radiator-Top-Plate-W30-W31_W0QQitemZ200020329731QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[ebay item 200020329731 ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/69-72-CUTLASS-442-W-30-UPPER-4-CORE-RADIATOR-TOP-PLATE_W0QQitemZ250022822128QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10076QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[ebay item # 250022822128 ]

Not all radiators are equal either. Many times you can get one with the wrong size hose nipple, bottom right typically. Many makers skimp on copper- it is rather pricey- and put in smaller tubes and far fewer FINS, which of course drastically affect the radiator's ability to, uh, radiate the heat away. Your new radiator should be HEAVY.

Speaking of the bottom hose... unless it has the spring inside it, coolant flow and suction of the pump on a partially clogged radiator can suck the hose shut. I have seen it happen. Watch your lower hose as you rev your warmed engine to oh 2-3000 RPM. If there is a problem there, it will be immediately obvious. This will happen manly while you are driving at higher than idle speeds, and so you will never SEE it happen unless you test per above.

no one mixed green and red coolant in the car, did they? My brother's gf's mustang engine recently died from that snafu. Turns to sludge and clogs the radiator.

Most likely cause: old, inefficient, clogged radiator, or dysfunctional thermostat.
other factors above might also contribute.
Chris Witt
*the* Rocket Scientist
1303 W. Miller Rd.
Lansing MI 48911

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cell 517-449-0432 weekends or short weekday calls or leave message.
Home 517-882-9747 thru 10-11pm MI time most days