Sure I'll bite
 I think in a stock car it was tripped by a switch on
the accelerator linkage at WOT.  That caused the TC to
switch to high stall which effectively reduces the
gear ratio between the motor and trans.  So in the
stock car its simply a passing gear or under-drive.

In a non stock car it can be controlled by a manual
toggle switch on the dash. When flipped it changes
from high stall (2200 RPM) to low stall (1100) RPM. Or
flipped back the other way.
Stall settings can be custom built for not much money
by PAE.
 One can switch into high stall for a launch and then
switch to low stall during first gear. sort of gives
you a four speed.  If the pitch change is 50% it
effectively cuts your gear ratio in half (numerically
double).
So if you are running 3.08-1 gears you are launching
in high stall with 6.16-1.  Or if you use the cutlass
2.56 you get great mileage in low stall but can launch
with a 5.12-1 effective ratio. Behind a 455 one can
turn some really big tires.

I am sure there are plenty folks on the list who can
tell you much more than I.  To me it seems nuts to
build a TH400 without SP.
Kerry