From: Bob Friesenhahn [mailto:bfrie...@simple.dallas.tx.us]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 6:48 AM
To: Rune Tipsmark
Cc: omnios-discuss@lists.omniti.com
Subject: Re: [OmniOS-discuss] slog limits write speed more than it should

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Rune Tipsmark wrote:

> Looking at the first link he clearly states that ZIL is written to in
> a round robin fashion, I was under the impression that 2 log devices would
> then be faster than 1…unless mirrored of course.

This could be a mistaken impression.  The slog commits each write before
proceeding to the next write.  If the involved SSDs have a fixed minimum write
latency, then this would limit the maximum transaction rate regardless of the
number of SSDs involved.  There could be an advantage to more SSDs if the
additional time between writes allows the SSD to more effectively prepare for
the next write and reduce the write latency.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn