> On May 18, 2015, at 3:01 PM, Jeff Stockett <jstock...@molalla.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> The pool is made up of 36 disks - 6 x 6 raidz2 vdevs with some SSDs for l2arc
> and slog.  I already replaced the drive and the rebuild is nearly done, but I
> was mostly curious why a disk failure would cause a reboot?  I get that it
> was apparently hanging the pool up, and that according to some posts I read
> the developers seem to think it is better the panic/dump/reboot than leave it
> hung until someone notices, but wouldn't it really be better just to drop the
> failed drive out of the array? Is it because the system in question is using
> a SAS expander or is this only expected behavior sometimes depending on how
> the drive fails?  I guess I might expect this with consumer grade SATA
> drives, but wasn't expecting it with $$$ enterprise SAS drives.

$$$ SAS drives *should* tickle FMA as Andrew G. was saying.  I've heard
expanders can complicate things, but I'm not enough of a storage guru to
address that directly (I will say that SATA drives + expanders == disaster but
you know that already).

There are more storage-informed people on this list, and they may have more
insight than I.

Thanks,
Dan