Quoting "Dominik Hassler" <hassl...@gmx.li>:

you need a dedicated vnic for the kvm. I assume you have one vnic and use that one for the zone so it is not exclusive for the kvm guest anymore and won't work to my knowledge. You can always bind VNC to a unix socket so you don't acutally need a vnic for the zone (except that one which is used by the zone but most not be configured within the zone at all).

I found that if the vnic has an address for the zone, vnc works but the network access from the guest is sporadic at best. I tried with no address on the vnic, which means vnc doesn't work - but in my case that's not a problem as it's for an email server - and yes, outgoing connections work great, so it is probably how it should be. I can't talk to the email server from outside the zone, though. I don't know how I can pass the vnic to the zone without it being 'aware', unless you can add it as a device instead of a network interface?

Did you have a look at https://github.com/hadfl/kvmadm ? It'll do all the necessary setup for you for running kvms within zones.

I'll have to take a look at that, thanks.