On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Dan McDonald <dan...@omniti.com> wrote:
> Huh... I had NO idea it would do that.  I assumed (probably incorrectly) that
> the NGZs would get "entire" just like the global one would.
>

> Ahhh, I see the problem:
>

> https://github.com/omniti-labs/pkg5/blob/omnios/src/brand/pkgcreatezone#L545
>
> "entire" populates the global zone.  Whatever is in pkgcreatezone works for
> ipkg & lipkg zones.
>
> "entire" can support both, and due to IPS's rules (higher version number
> wins), OpenSSH7.1 beats SunSSH0.151xxx.
>
> Not sure if patching pkgcreatezone is the best option OR if we should
> inherit-from-global more intelligently in the pkgcreatezone script.

This is fallout from our abuse of entire.  The ipkg brand scripts
assume entire is just an incorporation, so they explicitly install a
bunch of basic packages (including ssh).  I'd like to see us try to
undo that early mistake (for which I'm partly to blame!) and get back
to having "slim_install" fill the role that we forced "entire" into
back at the beginning, when we didn't fully understand what
distro_const was actually doing.

We (Circonus) can work around this for now, and make it part of our
'014 zone bootstrap process to switch out ssh daemons.

Eric