Hi Michael,

I brought this issue here only because the proposal has a strong relationship
to the ONAP community.

In the OASIS TOSCA meeting and maillist, I have repeatedly clarified that our
proposal only adds an option for the backward-compatible with TOSCA 1.0 to
allow reusing the tremendous existing codes of OpenECOMP and OPEN-O, it doesn't
intend to replace the new workflow DSL defined in TOSCA v1.1, and we also
acknowledge the vision of TOSCA declarative workflow.

TOSCA TSC Chair Matt also agree on this approach, here is what he said: “I
thought we had resolved going forward to acknowledge BPMN and BPEL (by name) as
popular examples of opaque ("Black box" artifact) work flow languages and list
all the issues/problems/caveats around using them in conjunction within a
declarative topology (for the Orchestrator and portability).  To be clear, we
would not endorse them as normative, but neither would we reject them and
follow our philosophy of "meeting customer where they are at in their
(declarative) journey that is, not leave them behind, ignore them or force them
to choose to rewrite to TOSCA or leave.”

If BPMN/BPEL is not included in the TOSCA, we must either abandon the existing
codes, or extend the TOSCA spec in a non-standard way to support this.  We hope
that the opensource and standard can cooperate and codevelop in a harmonized
way in the journey to it's ideally destination, that's why we submit this
proposal to OASIS TOSCA.

Here is the main idea of the proposal: it suggests an inclusive approach for
workflow definition: While the user can define each step of the imperative
workflow, the workflow can also be delegated to an arbitrary artifact, which
could be BPMN, BPEL or any other implementations which make sense.

To achieve that, the proposal suggest adding a “delegate” keyname at the
workflow level to signal that the workflow is delegated to an artifact
implementation. The value of “delegate” keyname is the relative path of the
artifact file in the CSAR package which the tosca template is in. During the
runtime, the orchestrator is responsible for instantiating the corresponding
artifact processor and hand over the workflow to it.

artifact_types:

  tosca.artifacts.Implementation.BPMN:

    derived_from: tosca.artifacts.Implementation

        mime_type: application/bpmn+xml

    file_ext: [ bpmn ]

topology_template:

  workflows:

    update:

      delegate: plan/update.bpmn

This approach is similar to the plan defined in TOSCA V1.0

<Plans>

    <Plan id="UpdateApplication"

        planType="http://www.example.com/UpdatePlan";

        planLanguage="http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/20100524/MODEL">

      <PlanModelReference reference="plans:UpdateApp"/>

   </Plan>

</Plans>

Given the intention of this proposal which is detailed described above, I don't
understand why you keep pushing it back .

Thanks,

Huabing