Hi Guangrong,

I have some comments on your reply: please see <jcs>..</jcs>. Also, please
look at the Holmes project page for additional comments from me.

regards,
John

For the overlap, I have to clarify again that although Holmes and Policy
are both based on Drools, the goal of them is totally different.
<jcs>
Policy SHOULD be able to accommodate different programming paradigms.
DROOLS is great for production rule systems, but many examples are not
appropriate for that type of policy. I don't think we should limit policy
to DROOLS.
</jcs>

Holmes is targeted to find out the correlation among tens of thousands
(even more) of alarms while Policy is aimed to which action should be taken
to accomplish auto-scaling/auto-healing tasks.
<jcs>
Holmes sounds like a CEP module, which I think is needed.
I disagree that Policy is aimed to a single action, and also disagree that
it is limited to auto-scaling and -healing.
Policy is about decision-making.

My underlying concern is:  Does Holmes define its own policy? Or does it
reference Policies from other projects? Please clarify.
</jcs>

I think systems should be defined by what their functions rather than the
technologies they adopt.
<jcs>
Agreed!
</jcs>

Besides, to make our systems easier to maintain, we have to hold on to the
Single Responsibility Principle.
<jcs>
This has nothing to do with the Single Responsibility Principle.
That being said, I repeat my question: is Holmes trying to define a new
type of Policy?
   IF YES, then I'd like to know why.
   IF NO, then Holmes should more clearly state its focus (e.g., why is it
MORE than a CEP module).
</jcs>

If we merge Holmes with Policy, the logic of the policy rules will get much
more complicated, which makes it rather hard to trace or fix the
problem/bug if any occurs in the futher.
<jcs>
I don't see why the logic gets more complex. That's what the CEP module
does. Please explain.
</jcs>

regards,
John