We've got a FAQ for that!

  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Note that this page is the official policy for Apache software products, and is required in the future before Apache OpenOffice can graduate from the Incubator. See also the "What scripts are available to update existing source headers?" FAQ on that page; there are some scripts to automate checking license headers that might be useful.

Note that other organizations or individuals may use the Apache license as well, and may apply it in their own way(s), so you may have seen other styles of NOTICES and the like elsewhere.

Separately, there is an Apache RAT (Release Audit Tool) podling:

  http://incubator.apache.org/rat/

- Shane