On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:

> Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> configure
> with

> >> A lot of the issues I see on the forum regarding the PDF extension are
> >> to do with expectation. People seem to think this extension is going to
> >> give them a full-blown PDF editor with the capabilities of the Adobe
> >> tools. When they discover it is for tiny corrections and typo fixes they
> >> feel let down. That's not to say there aren't any bugs in it, there may
> >> well be. But I don;t think the PDF extension was positioned or described
> >> sufficiently to provide users with the correct expectations.
> >
> > The intension was to show what is possible. On the extension website is
> > a note that the Beta status was left due to the positive notes we got
> > about the extension. But this is no promiss that its quality is like the
> > import filter for the documents formats for MS Word & Co.
> >
> > The solution is not to remove the extension but to improve it's work.
> >
> > Marcus
> >

> If it can be improved then it maybe worth the effort.  I still think an
> OCR engine would do the work.

i think if we can fix the legal issues with the dependencies we should keep
it and maybe somebody will work on it. It provides at least a minimal import
which is not enough for some people but is good enough for many others. It's
always the same that you hear more concerns than positive feedback.

And if somebody will develop something on OCR it's even better and we get a
further enhancement...

Juergen