Am 05.08.2011 18:47, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
The only problem with [2] is that it assumes conversion is
possible/permissible.  That is not always the case.  Now, I do not know there
is anyone who has that problem and is (or will soon be) unable to run older
software that accesses those formats, but we do need to be careful in
considering this.

The current 3.2 version would be the last one to have both, how ling will it be installable and runnable on evolving systems? Can only be guessed, but usually it's another 7-8 years.

I have no numbers, but how many people still have files in old formats? With introduction ODF years ago it was preselected as the standard.

When you load old files, change and safe them you are invited to use ODF for the file save. The office was not even as widely spread as it is now before ODF was added as default format, thus potentially much less documents in the old formats were created, compared to ODF.

I think something like old file formats have to be deprecated one day, and in my opinion there was a quite long conversion/transition period now. As others already mentioned, binfilter is not even installed by default for 3.2 (if I remember correctly), and I have not seen any complaints about that yet.

To All: Does anyone use one of the old binary formats or knows anyone who does actively nowdays? Please answer if you know about something like that, this would be valuable input in this discussion.

Regards,
        Armin

In the future, this problem will become more likely because conversion is
prevented by technical means, not just an usage case (e.g., when a document is
digitally-signed and the signature must be preserved).

  - Dennis