On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 01:28 +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:
>
> > Simon Phipps wrote:

> >> It's worth noting that these grants were always made by Team OOo (and
> >> indeed
> >> by FrODev) at their sole discretion and without any ability to officially
> >> direct them from the OOo project itself. I find it hard to see how Apache
> >> would be able to unilaterally shut down an independent, complementary
> >> activity like this.
> >>
> >> As to Shane's point about referring to some other list; presumably, as in
> >> other instances of this, we'd need to have a proposal formulated before
> >> doing that, and hence the topic is still appropriate here.
> >>
> >> S.
> >>

> > Seems to me there are two options open.
> >
> > 1) The grants are made to Apache with no strings attached.
> >
> > 2) The businesses stop receiving donations for OpenOffice.org.
> >
> > For either someone that has worked with the organizations that is a member
> > here needs to contact them and see what they can/ are willing to do.
>

> I don't follow that reasoning. If (hypothetically) I want to pay for you to
> go to Bermuda for a vacation, it's between you and me and no business of the
> Bermuda Tourist Commission. So while I can see the hardware donations will
> have to end, why is it anything to do with this project if (also
> hypothetically) Team OOo wants to pay for you to go to ApacheCon in
> Vancouver where you've got a paper on AOOo accepted, or wants to pay a
> student to work on AOOo code for the summer?
>
> S.

Profits from sales of printed copies of ODFAuthors (formerly OOoAuthors)
books are held by the not-for-profit organisation[1] that publishes
those books. The money from OpenOffice.org user guide sales is
designated to "be used to benefit the community". This could include
things like costs of conference attendance, copies of books for display
at conferences, copies of books (including translations) for
distribution where cost is an issue for the recipient, possibly payment
to writers of docs on specific topics... and other things I haven't
thought of while writing this note.

As Simon suggests, any such disbursement of funds is between us and the
recipient, as the money does not go to or through any OpenOffice.org
account, assuming such a thing exists.

[1] Friends of OpenDocument, Inc., http://friendsofopendocument.org/

--Jean