Ideally you'd be able to send a unique code to people on the old
lists, similar to the confirmation code sent to subscribers here, that
took them to a form for subscribing to Apache lists by entering a new
email address or confirming the old one.

I think someone said importing the subscriber list from the old lists
wasn't an option anyway, and some people, for whatever reason, might
not want to be on the new lists.

Don