OK, Rob, I now understand your point. I will do as you request. However, it seems to me that by making this request you are creating an interesting catch-22: I far as I can see there are two facets to this invitation.

   * *Sufficiency*.  These forums are closed because this gives the
     attendees freedom to discuss matters (such as individual poster
     behaviour) that shouldn't be discussed on a public forum.  We only
     invite "trusted" forum members to join these lists.  (That's is
     that they've demonstrated that they are responsible and have built
     up a body of "karma" with their forum contributions.)  I would
     have thought that being elected a committer could reasonably be
     deemed to be sufficient to show such trust.

   * *Necessity*.  You seem to want to discuss policy on the governance
     of the forums from within this DL or ooo-private.  I also recall
     some of your previous comments which indicate that these people
     (who have committed hundreds if not thousands of hours to
     supporting this service) do not merit committer status unless they
     have a wider engagement in the project, and they are therefore
     excluded from any ooo-private discussions.  Yet, it seems to me
     that it is entirely reasonable that anyone contributing to this
     discussion should at least have a working knowledge of how the
     forums operate in practice and currently govern themselves.  So I
     do think it necessary as well.

Hence in my view, this invitation makes eminent sense. Is your counter proposal that only committers who are entirely ignorant of how the forums work should decided on their future governance and existence? I feel that most Europeans would regard this as a typical American attitude to the rest of the world ;)

Regards
Terry