FWIW,

The external sources include a lot of stuff that is
outdated and there may even be security risks involved.

I think I posted a list of outdated stuff before and
on FreeBSD I made sure we carry natively the latest
versions (with some care for compatibility).

Also there's the issue that was discussed already of
having an external ICU and dictionaries.

I do think that for linux/BSD distributions adding a
list of dependencies would just be better in the long
run, but that would make life more difficult for
Windows.

cheers,

Pedro.