On 09/06/2011 10:04 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
It couldn't have been all that bad if you spent so much time volunteering on those boards. -Rob

The problem is that the forum was setup years ago by a single individual who is too busy to maintain it. The forum software is very old and the spammers trivially create accounts and post spam. I am tired of deleting multiple spammer accounts every day knowing that I cannot do a thing to stop it.... and the one person that can make a change to stop it does not have the time and will not hand over control so that someone else can. Well, that is not entirely accurate. I believe that the forum is hosted in a location that others CANNOT have access because this would then allow access to other things (if that makes sense). Regardless, the result to the forum is the same. Sure, people go there and post. I found, however, that if I do admin work there, then I take so much time doing admin work, that I have no time to answer questions, work on my books, etc.

Some moderators were burned out and asked to be removed. At that point, I researched how to control the spammers and the owner said that he would upgrade to the latest forum software. That was months ago.

Did you know that every couple of years the forum disappears because the domain name is not renewed?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php