[Recombining the thread]

On 12 Sep 2011, at 12:43, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 12:34, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 Sep 2011, at 10:55, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> We need to manage this carefully. A Japanes language list to ensure
>>> non-English speaking people are able to participate in the project is
>>> fine. A Japanese language list for creating a different version of OOo
>>> for the Japanese market is not fine.
>>
>> The reality is likely to be somewhere in-between. For example, the PT-BR
>> localisation of OOo was the subject of extensive discussion in Portuguese
>> about exactly how to translate various aspects of the UI, none of which
>> would be of great relevance to English-speakers but which was still
>> development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.
>>

> Let me clarify "different version" I meant significantly different,
> not just a translation.

You say "just a translation" but the debate on the PT-BR version led to two
competing releases for a time, with an impact on the community there which
lingers to this day. Localisation of a consumer application is never "just a
translation" as might happen to the strings in a server project; substantial
end-user decisions are debated, negotiated and agreed by thoughtful developers.

/The/ key reason for the success of OpenOffice.org is that there exists a
large, global community of groups of localisers who each act in autonomy or
semi-autonomy to create the release for each locale. Your message is a wake-up
call that we need to put a lot more thought into how the project will approach
them, especially if they will need to be separate projects in order to retain
their locale-specific autonomy.

On 12 Sep 2011, at 12:44, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 11:50, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there is to be a NL build of the AOO product to be
>> released, presumably that build will take place at Apache? Or could it take
>> place elsewhere but only be formally released by Apache?
>
> It depends on what you mean by "takes place". Anyone can build
> anything they want, wherever they want. However a formal release of an
> Apache project must receive 3 binding +1's. The vote to get those
> votes *must* be carried out here on the official dev list (this one).

So the release of (for example:) a new PT-BR binary needs three binding +1s on
this (English-speaking) list?

S.