I'm seeing some members say on the ooo-users list that targeted
donations are not permitted at Apache.  But a cursory investigation
calls this statement into question.

For example, the contribution website at Apache [1] says, "If you have
a specific target or project that you wish to directly support, please
contact us and we will do our best to satisfy your wishes."

And I see an old ASF Board resolution explicitly enabling the
acceptance of targeted donations [2].

What is the situation?  Is this just what is true of any US-based
non-profit, that we can only officially accept official contributions
at the foundation-level, but that the Board does a best-effort attempt
to use the funds in a way that respects the donor's wishes?

I don't think the project should solicit donations to the project
alone.  Our project creates non-trivial load on infrastructure staff,
hardware and bandwidth, and that is best remediated by general,
unencumbered donations to ASF.  But if someone came along and wanted
to donate specifically for the benefit of the project, would we really
be required to turn them away?

-Rob

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html#Financial

[2]