From: Ian Lynch [mailto:ianrly...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 05:39
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org; dennis.hamil...@acm.org
Subject: Re: Top posting is bad

        From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgard...@opendirective.com]
        Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 01:47
        To:�ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
        Subject: Top posting is bad

        At the risk of starting a flame-war I am going to state that
        top-posting is bad on publicly archived mailing lists. Can we please
        stop doing it?

�

        <snip>

�

        --
        Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
        Programme Leader (Open Development)

On 30 September 2011 13:18, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:

        The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
        mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
        everyone. �I already *manually* truncate lines to match the
        line-width of the sender.

Hi Dennis, I'm on Gmail and it is quite easy to top post accidentally :-).
Gmail hides a lot of the quoted text anyway unless you want to see it.�

On the other hand I think having a convention we all try to stick to is a good
idea simply because it provides consistency and predictability. I'd hate to
think that this was something that would get to such a point you would leave
given the amount of hard graft you put in. It's not that important. �Surely it
isn't too difficult, though, to post sequentially. Took me all of 5 seconds to
rearrange the order of your post in reply to Ross in this mail and chop out
most of the text :-). Really this whole issue gets blown out of proportion, but
I'd say if it's not a big imposition let's just go with the flow.�
--
Ian
www.theINGOTs.org�+44 (0)1827 305940