On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Not an option until we have control of the DNS.
>>>

>> Exactly.  Once that happens, we could do something like redirect all
>> requests to */openoffice.org/* addresses back to existing Oracle
>> servers, except for specific URL's that we redirect to Apache pages.
>> As we migrate things we redirect more and more to Apache.  We may have
>> dozens of such redirection defined.
>>
>> What is required to make this happen, at least the first step where
>> Apache gets the initial HTTP requests and does the redirects to the
>> existing servers?  Do we need anything from Oracle?
>
> There was am email on ooo-private from Joe.
>
> Essentially. Apache Infra has to create the zone file for openoffice.org, the
> domain registrations need to be transferred and then Apache's authoritative
> servers take over the DNS.
>
> This is the INFRA-3898 ticket.
>
> BTW - Shane sent a large set of additional domains that we should review. He
> did this about 6 weeks ago (IIRC)

I'd keep it simple to start.  Have all HTTP(S) traffic come to Apache
first and then get redirected.  Have the mail stuff go to Oracle's
servers for now.  Then set up a lightweight process where the PPMC can
change the redirects.  We can start redirect stuff almost immediately,
and build on that day-today.  But if every redirect additional takes
an Infra JIRA issue, and a delay, then that approach would not work.
We'd need to sit down and map things out more explicitly, up front,
the specific URL's and patterns.

But I do think we need some agility here.

-Rob