On 10/17/2011 04:00 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
2011/10/17 Kay Schenk<kay.sch...@gmail.com>:

On 10/17/2011 03:39 AM, Nelson Marques wrote:

Hi,

2011/10/17 RGB ES<rgb.m...@gmail.com>:

2011/10/17 Nelson Marques<nmo.marq...@gmail.com>

Hi all,

My name is Nelson and I'm a long time user of OpenOffice and OpenSUSE
user. I've noticed that the openSUSE repositories are "abandoned" for
the last 12 months, and I'm planning to explore the possibility of
packaging it and deliver (if such is possible for a single soul with
scarce time).

YES! As an openSuSE person, I too, had thought about this but hadn't gotten
around to exploring the SuSE build utility! Good for you and much success
with this. I can probably help somewhat. Thanks so much for taking the
initiative on this. Needless to say, I was quite unhappy when openSuSE
abandoned OOo. But, I installed it anyway. Not a big problem really.

Hi,

If you still feel like helping, it's welcome. About OBS, I don't mind
sharing what I know. All help is welcome.

OK--I'm actually on 11.3 currently, and don't know how long THAT version will be considered "current". Just go ahead and get started on this VERY worthwhile endeavor. I'll be back in touch when I get caught up with some other things...and again, THANK YOU!

I'm not sure on how it will be accepted, but I would assume a
contribution like this would be welcomed by openSUSE (I don't
represent openSUSE in any way). My main motivations are strong. I
won't be contributing with code to Apache OpenOffice.org, unless it's
something related with packaging. I've never peeked at the sources
before, maybe now it's a good time to check how build this.

Is this the right place to hang around ?

With love from Portugal,
Nelson Marques

Great! IMHO, a repository with a vanilla OOo build will be just perfect!
openSUSE's build service(1) permits to build packages not only for
openSUSE,
but also for fedora, debian, ubuntu and others.

I was only thinking on openSUSE supported, and I can cover Fedora as
well, for the other platforms supported by OBS I have no experience at
all (been running RH/SUSE for the last 13 years).

Be aware that there are switches that disable copyleft parts like
gstreamer
backend and hunspell: for a user oriented build maybe is good idea to
enable
them... ;)

I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Cheers
Ricardo
(1) https://build.opensuse.org/

MzK

"There is no such thing as coincidence."
           -- Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Rule #39