On 19 October 2011 13:00, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Ross Gardler

> However, the proposal that we're voting on has this clause regarding
> the support forums:
>
>  "Forum governance will be discussed in a publicly readable forum.
> Write access will be limited to those with at least 10 posts."
>
> In other words,  we're agreeing to a proposal where it is not true
> that "In an ASF community everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone
> should be encouraged to express that opinion in a formal vote, just as
>  much as they should be encouraged to express their opinions in day to
> day discussion."
>
> When I brought that up in the discussion thread I was shut down by a
> mentor for introducing an "overly legalistic parsing" of the proposal.
>  I take that to mean I was thinking too much.

Thanks for flagging this Rob. I didn't see that exchange.

My own opinion (with mentor hat on) is that since the ooo-dev list is
the place where decisions are made about the project this is OK.
People who are not happy with the forums can escalate to the ooo-dev
list.

In this I assume that it is the PPMC who have ultimate control over
the forums, i.e. they have the authority to deal with the unlikely
situation that a user escalates an issue (I'm afraid I have not
actually read the proposal).

> I'll stop now, because
> honestly the incongruity if our words and actions is shameful and
> painful to observe.

The Apache Way is not a set of rule and processes. It is a set of
guiding principles with just enough rules and process. We trust to the
fact that most people want the best for the project and have
mechanisms for dealing with those who are obstructive.

As long as my assumption above is correct I see trust in the
volunteers of the forum and I see a blunt instrument for fixing things
in the unlikely event they break.

Ross