On 10/21/2011 10:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

--- On Fri, 10/21/11, Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>  wrote:

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM,
Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
<and...@pitonyak.org>
wrote:
On 10/20/2011 05:02 AM, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
* A call to LibreOffice contributors also to
contribute their changes to
Apache as the ASF is the long desired independent
foundation for
OpenOffice.org. On this basis a collaboration
among the OpenOffice.org
Apache Project and TDF can be achieved and
duplication of efforts get
avoided. As a result the question which
project/product to choose is not
that important any more.
Are you aware of the number of changes that have
already been applied to the
LibreOffice code base? It is very large. So, although
it seems like a
realistic desire on the surface, it may be difficult
in practice. How long
ago was the fork? Many people have spent significant
time making changes,
and many of those changes depend on earlier changes.

It really is not that hard.  At IBM we have our own
fork of OOo called
Lotus Symphony.  We've made millions of lines of our
own changes, but
we still have merged in many patches from OOo.  It
requires some care,
but it is not rocket science.

-Rob

And modern VCS helps a lot. I merged some fixes from bugzilla
that may be shared, and they have taken a lot of code that
they tagged as "contributed" by Oracle. As we continue
merging CWSs some more similarities may appear.

The problem is not really integrating the codebases but the
fact that the ownership of LO is so disperse and that TDF
is incapable of taking any relicensing decision.

Just IMHO, of course.

Pedro.

Well OK then.... I had expected their major refactoring effort to cause problems. I have not followed it closely, but, every now and then I trace through some of the patches just to see what they are doing.

Is it a problem if the two projects do not use a similar infrastructure or build system? I assume that symphony and OOo did not use similar systems.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php